I have had three rough weeks - continual stomach pain and severe gas forced me to stop my oral medication and supplements for a week while I gave my digestive system a break. During this time I worked at encouraging my stomach to heal with easy to digest meals and providing it with only soothing supplements, enzymes and probiotics. At this point I have been able to successfully wean myself back on the medications that I was forced to stop and so we carry on.... I have lost some ground physically but it is good to be back on track again. We had help with meals and childcare during March break - thanks so much to all of those who prepared meals or took our children for us!
We had been planning to go to Disney on Ice for quite some time so, although I was having difficulty getting around due to increased pain and muscle cramping on Saturday we took the kids to see the show. In the end, for me it was a great mental break and eased some tension in my brain. It was good to get out of treatment routine for a bit and see the kids enjoying being kids! We made it work - the escalator was broken and I was physically unable to do the stairs so Eric gave me a piggy back - brought back memories of getting around before treatment.... I am so thankful to be walking again - even if my endurance is poor!
Disney On Ice!!
SOME NEW ISSUES TO ADDRESS - TOXIN ELIMINATION - MOLD
Being back on meds has brought an increase in some of my Lyme symptoms again (more muscle pain/cramping in my legs, neck and back, increased weakness, dizzyness). We are attributing this to a 'herx' and working to flush the toxins out. I am keeping a journal now to help me identify what things are contributing to the rise and fall of certain symptoms. So far we have concluded that excess cauliflower appears to be problematic for my intestines. We have also deducted that I am not naturally flushing toxins out of my body very well on my own as my symptoms increase in severity when I discontinue activated charcoal. I also appear to have trouble with breathing every time our furnace turns on. We think this may be related to our heating ducts (possible mold/water damage in our basement) which could also be preventing me from moving forward with healing so we will address what to do about mold toxicity issues when we visit my LLMD again next week. It is quite common for those of us with Lyme Disease to be sensitive to mold.
Tyson making me a 'bootiful queen' with 'hair pretties'
SALIVARY CORTISOL TEST
My Salivary Cortisol test results are in. As suspected, I have low cortisol, low insulin and low SIgA. These are probably a result of chronic stress on my system and confirm that my body is in a state of Chronic Adrenal Fatigue. In addition to these results, I was found to have gluten antibodies. Having low SIgA means that my gut is not very capable of making antibodies in the first place, and as I have been 100% gluten free for over 8 months now, this is a very puzzling result. We have bought me a separate toaster so that we do not cross contaminate with other gluten products in our household and have become more diligent about avoiding trace gluten in my diet.
Some of the new challenges:
- Flax Seed Slime - made from boiled flax seed - helps with hormone regulation
- H2Nano in Distilled Water - a gentle detox
- Bone Broth - alternate between Chicken and Beef - 4 cups daily - nutrient rich, bone broth is a great way to provide direct nourishment and better absorption to a stomach that struggles with digestion
- Oil Pulling - swishing olive oil my mouth for 12 minutes each morning - pulls toxins out of the body.
- Adrenal Breathing Exercises - provide oxygen to cells and release tension from body and mind
- Diet - I am on the right track with eliminating gluten, dairy, sugars, nightshade vegetables, GMO products, starches, grains. A protein rich snack (nuts/chicken/eggs) is important before bed as well as upon night time awakenings to help keep cortisol levels more stable and prevent blood sugar dropping.
- Rest - No more exercising for now - heart rate must not increase during exercise so short walks or yoga is ok as tolerated. Time to listen to the body!!
- Eat! - As often as needed - do not deprive the body. For me that is every 2 hours at the moment due to a quick metabolism as well as poor digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- Decrease Stress - I am seeking more help with the children as needed, ignoring work in the home that is not absolutely necessary and that I do not have sufficient energy to complete. I am also spending more time in Biblical study and devotion to help me keep life in perspective and receive strength and encouragement to continue doing what needs to be done to care for my family while participating in treatment to the best of my ability. I have realized that I need to work harder on 'letting go' of things that are out of my control and leaving them to God. A continuing struggle for me and much against my human nature...I tend to panic a bit when looking ahead (also as Eric returns to work after being home much during the winter months) This is why the Lord urges us to take ONE DAY AT A TIME!!“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matt 6:34
- Decrease screen time - TV and computer - especially before bed. I print off material that I am interested in reading as much as possible.
- Soft Hyperbaric Chamber - 2-3X weekly - supplies oxygen to the muscle and tissue cells in a form that the body is able to absorb more rapidly.
- Infrared Sauna - 3X weekly on alternating days to Hyperbaric Chamber. No more than 10mins in Sauna after body begins to sweat or the body will be drained and eliminated toxins will be reabsorbed.
- Detox Baths - Epsom salts and Hydrogen Peroxide - No more than 20 minutes at a time to prevent toxin re-absorption. Water must be warm but not too hot. Approx. 3-4 baths per week.
I have received a whole bunch of new supplements from Dr Lam and will be incorporating them into my routine as well over the next number of weeks.
I will continue to share this journey as much as possible in hope that it will help someone else searching for solutions to this complicated disease. I know it is different for each person struggling with the multi-system effects of Lyme as Lyme Disease reacts differently with individual body chemistry. However, many of the root causes of our symptoms are the same and need to be addressed. Whatever the outcome after all of this, may God give us the grace to be content with His will...
PSALM 77 - FOR COMFORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT:
I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me.
When I was in distress, I sought the Lord;
at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted.
I remembered you, O God, and I groaned; I mused, and my spirit grew faint.
You kept my eyes from closing; I was too troubled to speak.
I thought about the former days, the years of long ago;
I remembered my songs in the night. My heart mused and my spirit inquired:
"Will the Lord reject forever? Will he never show his favor again?
Has his unfailing love vanished forever? Has his promise failed for all time?
Has God forgotten to be merciful? Has he in anger withheld his compassion?
Then I thought, "To this I will appeal: the years of the right hand of the Most High."
I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds.
Your ways, O God, are holy. What god is so great as our God?
You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples.
With your mighty arm you redeemed your people, the descendants of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God, the waters saw you and writhed; the very depths were convulsed.
The clouds poured down water, the skies resounded with thunder;
your arrows flashed back and forth.
Your thunder was heard in the whirlwind, your lightning lit up the world;
the earth trembled and quaked.
Your path led through the sea, your way through the mighty waters,
though your footprints were not seen.
You led your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.