Monday, October 20, 2014

Hernia hassles

Despite my best efforts, I have been struggling to control the bloating in my stomach recently and headed off to the ER again on the weekend.  I am not sure which is causing the other, the hernia on my right lower abdomen or the bloating in my stomach and intestine.  In any case, we need to control the bloating, figure out the cause and decrease it so that my hernia does not get worse and completely block my intestines....Once blocked or infected it will require surgery - something my body can't afford right now.

We figure that the hernia, which extends from inside my lower right hip around my waist, was caused by the weakness in my core abdominal muscles and exasperated by the pressure of the hyperbaric chamber that I have been going in daily for the past three months....

Time to stop the hyperbaric, take stock of what I am eating and try to figure this thing out so that I can hopefully reverse the hernia, heal my digestive tract and avoid surgery.  I have greatly increased the amount of digestive enzymes, vitamin C and probiotics I am taking and have begun some light physiotherapy exercises again as well as using my recumbent exercise bike more frequently in an effort to build some strength in my lower abdomen.  I have lost a lot of ground physically over the past two months and my muscles are all but gone in my legs, gleuts and core.  According to Dr McShane's treatment protocol, I should have been doing light exercises every day to avoid deconditioning.

Unfortunately it is back to the drawing board (again!) for me with my diet.  Something is causing the gas build-up so I am having to eliminate some more potentially difficult to digest foods that may be irritating my digestive tract.  I am now also supposed to keep a food diary (something I loathe to do for some reason...) I feel like I have spent so many hours working on my diet already, that I do not look forward to trying to figure out another plan to implement but if it will help it is necessary for healing....So far I was trying to combine an Sugar Free Autoimmune Paleo diet with Specific Carbohydrate diet.  I will update a link to the specifics of my diet when I have it sorted out properly again. Eventually I should have the Ultimate Lyme Diet to Avoid All Dietary Complications sorted out, at which point I should be able to write a book on the subject...

All this has lead to the need for our youngest two children to continue to be taken care of outside of the home again indefinitely.  We need to accept that I am unable to care for them right now and need to focus instead on doing whatever I can to regain strength and gain some ground physically, thus optimizing the effects of treatment.  The Deboer family is more than willing to continue to take the children for us as needed so we thankfully accept their help.  God has certainly provided for us in that we do not need to worry about how my treatment is affecting the children - they are happy and loved in both homes and we have been blessed with how well they transition between the two!  The new plan now is to start with them home for the weekends and as I (Lord willing) regain strength and manage my medication routines and appointments, slowly increase the number of days spent at home.
...An endearing scene from Plattsburgh....

May the Lord help us to keep perspective. We pray that we may have eyes to see joy in the midst of our trials and to continue to praise Him for His faithfulness through it all.  We do not understand but we do trust the One who has personally mapped out our future and has a personal knowledge of our suffering.

8we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; 9persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;
16Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. 17For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, 18while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
2 Cor 4:8/9, 16-18




1 comment:

  1. Oh Roze, it breaks my heart to hear of all your struggles lately again. I'm so glad that you've found a new doctor, and pray that you continue to receive better treatment than you have been. I'm also glad that you've been receiving help through family and friends, and the communion of saints. That must be a huge relief for you to know that your children are well taken care of, when you can't do it yourself. But I also understand that that is a heart breaking, and frustrating realization to know that you can't be doing the things in your home, with your family that you feel you should be doing! We continue to keep you and your entire family in our prayers. May you receive healing. May you all receive patience and strength to persevere. May you feel His loving arms surrounding you.

    Much love! Gerald & Michelle Lenting

    ReplyDelete